A Friendly Waffle Off
In the early Spring of 2015, Fun Time Douglas was invited to judge two waffles in “The Spirit of the Waffle Competition” (qtd. Josh Wild Card Black). Jojo and J-Dog prepared their batter, toppings, and provided their own waffle irons. This was truly Iron Chef Edmonton, in Jojo’s 123rd Street apartment and I was the Chairperson. So, representing the International Supreme Council of Waffles (ISCoW) I drafted my rating rubric to establish the playing field. The friendly competitors were not informed of the criteria beforehand to uphold their waffle creativity.
The Waffles that were prepared are:
- J-Dog: The Pina Colada: the batter contained coconut and was topped with a coconut cream and pineapple sauce
- Jojo: Vegan Banana Caramel: a banana based batter waffle that was topped with a caramel sauce and fresh blueberry jam
Each waffle was tasted with the creator’s desired presentation and toppings and judged based on its entirety. Then the waffles were also tasted with only butter and syrup as toppings and judged as a control-variable-waffle.
J-Dog’s Pina Colada Waffle:
- Colour: Golden 5/5
- Outside Texture: Crispy 5/5
- Inside Texture: Fluffy 4/5
- Overall Flavour: Coconut is a win 5/5
- Toppings: 5/5
- Butter/Syrup: very good waffle iron, deep pockets for delivery 5/5
Jojo’s Vegan Banana Caramel Waffle:
- Colour: Warm Brown 4/5
- Outside Teture: Crisp but not light 4/5
- Inside Texture: Banana made it soft and moist 3/5
- Overall flavour: Complimentary flavours 5/5
- Butter/Syrup: butter was delicious, like on banana bread 5/5
J-Dog’s Pina Colada: 29/30
Jojo’s Vegan Banana Caramel: 25/30
Both performed exceptionally. But it was the crispy golden outside, fluffy inside, and excellent butter/syrup vehicular properties that made J-Dog’s a success. Though, J-Dog almost lost points for smack-talk. Jojo maintained her quiet confidence and was not goaded by J-Dog’s barbs. She was a most gracious of hosts.
ISCoW thanks KPop, Space-Cate, & Josh Wild Card Black for their participation in this friendly waffle off.
Both Jojo and J-Dog presented creative and tasty waffles that will be forever remembered by the International Supreme Council of Waffles.
Fun Time Douglas, signing off.